Leslie Tolliver

A native St. Louisan and former business owner, I’ve practiced law for more than 17 years. I’ve specialized in family, criminal law and political consulting. These experiences have taught me the need for a holistic approach to ensuring young children become successful and independent adults. Education is at the center of the wheel of life, from which all other decisions are made.

I obtained both my B.A. in English and Juris Doctorate degrees from the University of Missouri. I am currently an administrator for a local school district and enjoy keeping up with current events and local trends. My past professional experience includes a seat as a Board member of Kids in the Middle, former chair of St. Louis County Board of Equalization and former adjunct professor at St. Louis Community College-Forest Park.

In my spare time, I enjoy traveling and serving the community wherever needed. My most recent travels included both, as I served at the Love A Child orphanage in Haiti.

I made my family’s home in the district four years ago with my children’s education being a top priority. It is my firm belief that what happens here .... what happens at Ladue Schools, changes the world.

Why are you running for the Ladue Schools Board of Education?
Service is the rent you pay for the life you’ve been given. I am fortunate to be able to provide a Ladue Schools education for my children. We all want the same things: a great home, safe streets and quality education. Providing these things isn’t without challenges, perseverance and determination. Ladue Schools is servicing its student population well in many areas, but there are areas where improvement is necessary. I am running for your family and mine, to be a voice at the table for change, a visible pillar for progress and an advocate for students’ needs.

What are the key issues facing the Board of Education in the next two or three years?
I believe the key issue facing the Ladue Schools Board is the continuing need to ensure cultural competency of current staff and increase the hiring of diverse staff. The Ladue School District is on the move, both in terms of growth in numbers and growth in diversity. Statistics reveal that more than 80% of teaching certificates issued in Missouri are to non-minority persons. Additionally, fewer individuals are obtaining educational degrees each year; we’ve officially come to a crossroads. How do we move forward with less diverse human capital? How does an increasingly diverse district create and maintain a culturally competent and diverse workforce? Grow-your-own programs, international recruitment, and extensive training of current staff are needed. Together, we can continue to be the leader in creating excellence for all children. It is my belief that what happens in the Ladue School District changes the world.