Jeff Kopolow

My name is Jeff Kopolow, and I am pleased to be seeking the opportunity to continue to serve on the Ladue Schools Board.

A lifelong resident of St. Louis, I attended Clayton High School and Washington University, where I received my A.B. degree in 1966 and my M.A. in 1969. Subsequently, I have taken graduate courses and workshops at Washington University, the University of Missouri, and Webster University. I hold a Missouri Life Certification in Social Studies, grades 7- 12. I taught at West Ladue Junior High School and Ladue Horton Watkins High School from 1966 to 2005. I have held adjunct appointments with Washington University, the University of Missouri - St. Louis, and Columbia College.


I have written educational programs for the Missouri History Museum. I devoted considerable time to community service student activities and am a double-diamond National Forensic League Debate Coach. I am currently a lead social studies teacher for the University of Missouri High School, responsible for courses being taught in Brazil. I also teach social studies for Yeshivat Kadimah, a private religious school.


My wife, Harriet, is also an educator. Our two children attended Ladue Schools. We have two granddaughters.


I am active in my community, having served on several boards for the City of Olivette. I am a docent at the Missouri History Museum and a board member of Chesed Shel Emeth Cemetery.


Why are you running for Ladue Schools Board of Education?
I have resided in the community for over 50 years, with both of our children attending Ladue Schools. As a 39-year educator with the district, I understand the importance of active, interested district patrons. My experience as an educator and board member, as well as my consensus-building approach to solving problems, are assets that will benefit the Board as it charts the future course of the Ladue School District. It will be an honor to continue to serve the students of the district.

What are the key issues facing the Board of Education in the next two or three years?

We must continue our efforts to provide equity for all students, and we must work to close the achievement gap that exists. Every child should have the chance to learn and to develop his or her own unique abilities.

We must continue to upgrade our facilities. We have a 21st-century high school. We should be working on our other buildings, so our children may have an environment conducive to learning.

We must continue the work we have begun to be sure that all of our children feel valued and important. We have a diverse student population and need to be sure our staff reflects this diversity.

We must continue our efforts to maintain our high quality instructional staff, and compensate them appropriately.